Paradise is Sharing...

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Shut UP and Listen!

Listen to what you know instead of what you fear.  ~ Richard Bach

I am an excellent listener.  I have been trained to listen to people on a very deep level, and in a very meaningful way.  I practice daily listening to people by validating the speaker, understanding their message, and clarifying the meaning.  Not to brag, but I am often deemed as "intuitive" because I take the time and care to really hear what the speaker is saying.  Partly through training, mostly through practice, but I really pride myself on my listening skills.


Except when it comes to listening to one person.  Me.


Unfortunately, instead of listening to my Inner Wisdom - my Source... I usually end up listening to Cecilia instead. I end up listening to her berate me, contemplate when she asks me "who do you think you are?" and I believe her when she tells me I can't possibly amount to anything because I'm either lacking in resources, money or the brains department. Eventually, the truth my Source tells me -that I'm smart, I have resources, I have potential.... those truths go unheard.


This past week, I had a BIG decision to make - one that was important, and could effect my livelihood.  Because it was such a weighty decision, Cecilia piped up loud and clear in her very opinionated way.  You don't have enough money.  You don't have enough time.  You don't have enough resources.  You aren't right for this.... once again, Cecilia realized that I was setting myself up to take a risk, and she was in full blown panic mode.  Don't take risks, stay here, on the couch and eat ice cream where you are safe and won't make an ass out of yourself... she chided.   But Cecilia was wrong.  I knew it.  I just couldn't hear any voices of reason over her relentless chatter.  


What the Universe does next is a classic parental trick.  You know the one... your mother knows that you aren't going to listen to HER, so she convinces everyone around you to talk to you instead?  "Why don't you  talk to your sister?"... or "Your her best friend, could you talk to her?" Ya.... that old trick.


Later that day, I stared at the blank application for membership, hemming and hawing on how to fill it out.  It wasn't a matter if I SHOULD fill it out, it was HOW I wanted to fill it out.  I had to make a decision on what role I wanted to take, and that as a result would determine how I was going to shape my marketing and target audience for my business from here on out.  Fiercely procrastinating, I decided to return a phone calls to a colleague - randomly - yet SO purposeful. After sharing what we were up to with each other, I shared with her my intent to join a networking group.  I also shared with her I was going to apply as "personal coach".... and remarkably - she picked up on the fact I was having an inner struggle.  "Are you sure that's what you want to do?"  She wasn't talking to Cecilia... she was talking to ME.  And, because I am a great listener, I heard her. "No, I'm not sure..." I sheepishly admitted.  Because she is also an amazing listener, and she is an incredibly insightful coach,  she helped me hear my Source, silence Cecilia, remember my purpose and passion - connect them to my goals and values, and to trust my instincts. By the time I hung up the phone I knew what I had to do.....   I literally said out loud "OK UNIVERSE - I HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR!"

Without any further delay, I filled out the application for membership and clearly defined my goals and intention and in the "description of services" I wrote "Business Coach."  Because that is my purpose, my passion and my destiny.  I know, because my Source just knocked me over the head.  I wrote the check, and hand delivered it to the Secretary Treasurer.  As I pulled out of her driveway and headed back to my office, the song "Pretty Please" by Pink blared on the radio......

Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're ever less than perfect
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing, you're perfect to me

You're so mean when you talk

About yourself. You were wrong.
Change the voices in your head
Make them like you instead.

Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less than perfect
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing, you're perfect to me!



I sang so loud - I think the entire world could hear me.... I know I did... 


Paradise is Here, Paradise is Now .... Paradise is Listening to Your Source... 

1 comment:

  1. I've sent you that song before. It's true, you are perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete

Paradise is Here, Paradise is Now... Paradise is having people comment on my blog :)